 Off-Topic / Debate / 3326
  Re: Art! or Not Art!

(...) Modified by Goya or some later censor? I presume that he may have thought it went over the line into "that's just plain sick" (and not justified by the myths) or it simply is a delusion by some scholar. It certainly starts to edge over the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Art! or Not Art!

(...) Wasn't this painting found on the wall of Goya's hovel after his death? It doesn't seem likely to me that Goya would've censored his own painting to avoid offending himself. Additionally, I studied this painting in an Art History course, and I (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Art! or Not Art!

(...) Perhaps. If you'd like to check on the reference, find "No Go the Bogeyman" by Marina Warner in your library, and look up the painting in the book's index. I think I recall the book being well-documented with footnotes and references, and if (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)