 Off-Topic / Debate / 3326
Re: Art! or Not Art!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:34:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Thompson writes:

How about this one - a parent eating his child!  Sick!  Cannibalism!
Disgusting.  Certainly Not Art!  And certainly on paper, this really seems • like
a candidate.

Goya's "Saturn Devouring one of his Children".

http://www.imageone.com/goya/saturn.html

Generally accepted as Art.

And even more frightening if the academnic speculation is true
that the painting was modified from its original form, with Saturn
originally having a very erect phallus while he devours the child.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

Modified by Goya or some later censor?  I presume that he may have thought it
went over the line into "that's just plain sick" (and not justified by the
myths) or it simply is a delusion by some scholar.  It certainly starts to edge
over the border of what I'm willing to discuss *here*, in any case!  :-)

Bruce