 Off-Topic / Debate / 3327
3326  |  3328
Subject:
Patents and IP and stuff (was Re: Goodness of Man? etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:34:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
I'm not sure. I haven't carried out an exhaustive analysis of the rights
involved. I would tend to say not, as long as the idea was developed
independently and without knowledge of the first inventor's work...
(that is, merely using a cleanroom and trying to match the features
using an independent team doesn't count... you have to truly come up
with the same idea without knowledge that it's already been done. That
may not work practically, though, I dunno.)

What happens in the case of "obvious" developments? "Obvious" is of course
difficult to judge (which is why it merits quotation marks) but take this
theoretical example:

I live in a very primitive society. We've just started developing ideas. For
example, we're just getting numbers figured out. So far, as a society, we've
worked out "one", "two", "three". On Monday, someone figures out "four", on
Tuesday, someone else figures out "five". Then, on Wednesday, I wake up
before everyone else, 'cause I ate some bad sabre-toothed tiger for supper
and had a rough night. I get up before sunrise, and invent "six". Then, I
start painting it everywhere and yelling "six six six" until everyone else
wakes up and hears me.

Do I then have ownership of the concept of six? Must everyone else ask me
first before counting that high?