 Off-Topic / Debate / 3297
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:34:46 GMT

<3874CFB7.C78E8E40@voyager.net> <slrn879jtn.95s.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>

Matthew Miller wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
I see ideas as property of the inventor. From a rights basis, that means
that the inventor has the right to do with them as he or she sees fit.
From a utilitarian basis, if we don't incent the inventor, we don't get
new ideas.

From a rights basis (the utilitarian basis is clear) does it follow that the
inventor has the right to prevent other people from coming up with the exact
same idea on their own?

I'm not sure. I haven't carried out an exhaustive analysis of the rights
involved. I would tend to say not, as long as the idea was developed
independently and without knowledge of the first inventor's work...
(that is, merely using a cleanroom and trying to match the features
using an independent team doesn't count... you have to truly come up
with the same idea without knowledge that it's already been done. That
may not work practically, though, I dunno.)

But I freely admit I am not sure here. My beef with Jasper is that he
seems to have some notion that ideas are NOT property but isn't willing
to state what his idea is or defend it, he merely is going for sound
bites instead of engaging in sound debate.

I think I'll ignore him and debate you instead as you're on much firmer
ground, debate principle wise... you seem to actually be debating.

What's your thinking on this, if you posit that ideas ARE property? Are
they unique or are they reproducable?