 Off-Topic / Debate / 3307
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:53:47 GMT

Scott:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
**snip**
Education, health care, housing, etc. is not a right, a IMO, (Contrary to
what I am guessing you think it is) and this country was founded on the
principle of small government, not the monstrosity it is today, being a
wealth distribution service.

  Maybe part of the dilemma is coming from confusion between the "right to
health care" and the "right not to be prevented from obtaining health care."
Certainly there's nothing in the Constitution guaranteeing a right to health
care or housing, and no one worth talking to would suggest otherwise.  Beyond
the Constitution, though, I would support the premise that everyone has the
right "not to be prevented from obtaining health care," which is certainly not
a guaranteed right to have health care.  For me, it's similar to the "pursuit
of happiness" line; we're not granted the right to happiness, but the right to
its pursuit.
  I will assert, though, that arguments based on "this country was founded on"
must be examined carefully for their relevance and validity in today's world.
Today's nation is sufficiently different from its 18th century counterpart to
require additional support for an argument, even if that argument is based
largely on what was written 200 years ago.

     Dave!