 Off-Topic / Debate / 3308
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:53:50 GMT

<FnvKu0.A5C@lugnet.com> <38742759.42A175DD@uswest.net> <Fnx470.15I@lugnet.com>

Dave Schuler wrote:

Christopher Lannan wrote:
I guess my point here is that words like "obscene" "pornography" and
"decent" say more about the speaker than the thing the speaker is describing.

I'm not so sure (see my post above).  Can't I come up with an idea so obscene
that every normal, decent human being will say, "That's sick!"

  But this, too, is circular, since your question implies that a human being
who doesn't say "That's sick!" is not normal and decent.

YES!  We cannot float on the sea of relativism on every issue-- we gotta take
stands.  We have decided that taking the life of another human is wrong [1].  It's
not right.  It's an absolute.  It is good to have this law.

Now, ideally, we wouldn't have to have such laws to keep the populace in place.
It doesn't matter to me that murder, stealing, etc. is against the law-- I would
never do it anyway.  I try and be a morally sound person.  People who engage in
such behaviors as above are morally sick and wrong people.  There is no debate.  I
don't care if *they* think it's okay and normal.  They are wrong and not normal,
and probably mentally ill.

-John

[1] You know, the 1st degree kind with no extenuating circumstances: "you have a
4558, you wouldn't give it to me, so I killed you to get it".

     Dave!