 Off-Topic / Debate / 3263
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:12:45 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:02:24 GMT, "Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com>
wrote:

Perhaps there's a miscommunication in progress here; obviously there's no
"inherent" definition of art, if only because the term is itself a human
construct.  However, it is falacious to suggest that, as a construct, art
cannot be defined for discourse in a useful way.
As I've mentioned previously in this thread, I'm not qualified to posit such
a definition, but that doesn't mean a definition cannot be put forth.

Yes. But it won't be a useful definition.

Picasso was not considered art in his time. Van Gogh wasn't. (let
alone _good_ art, of course). Now will you argue that a definition of
art that changes continually with time can be a useful one? The moment
you set it down, it will be outdated.

So are you saying that we can only recognize art in retrospect?  And since we
cannot know how the future will deem our (the present) work, then we shall not try
and judge it now?

Besides that, any definition will, by the definition, likely exclude
some works that are considered art, and vice versa.

Short of a grand listing of all works that are considered art, no real
definition can be made. Thus no useful definition can be made.

I'm searching for a definition, not an inclusive data base.

-John

Jasper