 Off-Topic / Debate / 3254
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 04:34:07 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:35:57 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

If an artist cannot afford to finance his own work, and cannot find a
patron willing to donate funds, perhaps that artist's work is not worthy
of further consideration. The market's never wrong.

Yes, Van Gogh was such a bad artist.

Van Gogh *was* bankrolled by his brother Theo.  It just took a little time
for the market to appreciate Vincent as well;-)

And thank goodness he WASN'T state funded. Free money spoils people. If
you don't want to suffer a bit for your art, you're not much of an
artist, now are you?

Note, that's a utilitarian argument against state funding... the art it
produces is crud. But that's not my main argument, which is, and you
know it already, that the artist does not have any claims to my property
that I don't grant him.

Jasper, you need to reject this notion that the state somehow is able to
engineer anything successfully, and therefore has a claim on the
property of the citizens for nebulous "good things". As long as you
cling to it, we're going to trip over it over and over. Try to refute me
on my own terms, like you said you would, or just give it up, hmm?