 Off-Topic / Debate / 3244
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:05:32 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 02:45:33 GMT, Christopher Weeks
<clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:

I spent six years and 30 college credits taking art classes and spent a
fair amount of time thinking about this issue.  To my mind, some, but
possibly not all, of the criteria are:

1. It must be intentional. (a beautiful sunset is not art)

Does a photograph of ~ count?

2. It must provoke emotion in some/most viewers. (it need not be a
pleasant response)

How many is "some"?

3. It must be explainable. (this is pretty fuzzy)

Mona Lisa. Why is she smiling?

What would you call child pornography?  I could be convinced that a
drawing of a naked 16-year old was art.

And of a naked 14 year old? And 13? And 12? And 11?

And photographs of ~?

Jasper