 Off-Topic / Debate / 3376
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 03:20:18 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 02:45:33 GMT, Christopher Weeks
<clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:

I spent six years and 30 college credits taking art classes and spent a
fair amount of time thinking about this issue.  To my mind, some, but
possibly not all, of the criteria are:

1. It must be intentional. (a beautiful sunset is not art)

Does a photograph of ~ count?

Yes.  Photography is a method by which a 2D image is fixed of a scene.
And, photographic technology can be used to create abstracts.  It's
really just like painting...but different.

2. It must provoke emotion in some/most viewers. (it need not be a
pleasant response)

How many is "some"?

Well, I guess one.  But the more people for who this is true, the more
people will agree that it's art.

3. It must be explainable. (this is pretty fuzzy)

Mona Lisa. Why is she smiling?

Because it makes the painting look prettier.?

What would you call child pornography?  I could be convinced that a
drawing of a naked 16-year old was art.

And of a naked 14 year old? And 13? And 12? And 11?

Yes.

And photographs of ~?

Yes.

Jasper

And I would mostly separate them from pornography.  But as an aside, I'm
not at all opposed to pornography that has no victim.  So even if the
two categories are supposed to be mutually exclusive, and the line is
blurry, I don't care because I think some 'porn' is quite nice.

Chris