 Off-Topic / Debate / 3095
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:11:32 GMT

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:21:12 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

Well, that's my point.  I'm saying that good is beyond what the particular fancy of a
given society says it is.  We are not the author of good, we are the seekers of it
(hopefully).

Which means that there is no meaningful definition of good at all.
That's not very useful either.

planet. Until the Y2K bug killed it off, of course.

We'll soon see about that;-)

<antagonist>Drat. It was a dud. Well, I'll try again in 100 years.
</antagonist>

All of these examples, of course, are examples of evil.
I don't know who you mean by _we_; I stated that *only* God is good.  Seems you are
helping me prove my point.

If God is good, why has he never deigned to touch the world?

The world is a harsh place mostly because bad people don't know how to exist
*meaningfully*.  They haven't figured out what it's all about, and so they bungle
through life reeking chaos.  People need guidance, and not the blind leading the blind
kind, but the divine kind.

But since there is no divine guidance, only the
blind-leading-the-blind kind, what exactly are we supposed to do?

Jasper