 Off-Topic / Debate / 3107
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:09:41 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:21:12 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

Well, that's my point.  I'm saying that good is beyond what the particular fancy of a
given society says it is.  We are not the author of good, we are the seekers of it
(hopefully).

Which means that there is no meaningful definition of good at all.

Well, at least an all encompassing definition of good.  It is not something that can be
comprehended in its entirety-- it is a continuous learning process.

That's not very useful either.

Sorry if some things aren't easily understood-- that's just the way it is, baby.

planet. Until the Y2K bug killed it off, of course.

We'll soon see about that;-)

<antagonist>Drat. It was a dud. Well, I'll try again in 100 years.
</antagonist>

All of these examples, of course, are examples of evil.
I don't know who you mean by _we_; I stated that *only* God is good.  Seems you are
helping me prove my point.

If God is good, why has he never deigned to touch the world?

Hasn't He?  You make quite a lot of assumptions, such as that God would choose to
intervene supernaturally, fantastically, etc.  This for me is one of the most compelling
reasons I am a follower of Jesus:  God came, but not like *anyone* thought He would--
Powerful King, Omnipotent Ruler, etc.  He came as a child, to a poor family in a backwater
part of earth.  And He didn't come to rule, but to serve.  He was about love and
compassion, not power and control.  In short, He came and most didn't even see Him because
their preconceived notions of what God *should* be like didn't allow them.  That to me
sounds like something a God would do, not something a human would do, or even think of.

The world is a harsh place mostly because bad people don't know how to exist
*meaningfully*.  They haven't figured out what it's all about, and so they bungle
through life reeking chaos.  People need guidance, and not the blind leading the blind
kind, but the divine kind.

But since there is no divine guidance, only the
blind-leading-the-blind kind, what exactly are we supposed to do?

As far as you know.  Denying that God is present in your every thought is based on no
proof (although claiming it is isn't, either)  It's a classic issue of faith.  If the idea
of believing something that isn't provable is so unpalatable, I would why.  Is it because
you might be wrong, and look like a fool?  There are worse things than appearing to look
like a fool-- one that comes immediately to mind is living out an entire life without
having a clue of meaningfulness or purpose.

-John

Jasper