 Off-Topic / Debate / 3080
    Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —James Brown
   (...) Anything based on morals (which "good" typically is) IS subjective, and can never be anything else, at least until God (in whatever guise you like, assuming you believe in Him) provides us with an absolute morality.(1) Neither you nor I can (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —James Brown
     (...) Whoops! Forgot the footnote: 1:Which, assuming He exists, IMHO He hasn't(2). When the proverbial omnipotent being wants to provide us with an absolute morality, we will all KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what it is. 2:What He has provided (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) We've been around this particular mulberry bush before and I continue to hold with the stance that "good" and "morals" can be objective, correct ones are based on life affirmation. Further, I hold that I can very well label a particular (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —James Brown
     (...) Multiple times, I think, although it hasn't always been you on my dance card. (...) I highly suspect that we are of similar minds on this issue, and just keep insisting on different definitions. My position in a nutshell, morals=subjective, (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —John DiRienzo
   James Brown wrote in message ... (...) relation (...) In what guise would you expect Him? Could it not happen that someone could formulate their (and His) idea of good, put it into practice, and then people see that it works?! I think that is much (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party —Jasper Janssen
   (...) So 'good' is "what works"? That's cultural Darwinism. It's also moral relativism, whether you like it or not. Because "what works" is a very large range of things - and it changes over time. In Sparta, what worked best was to leave unwanted (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)