 Off-Topic / Debate / 3080
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:00:14 GMT

James Brown wrote:

Wow.  You have a fairly radical definition of good, it seems.  I tend to
think of good as 'not meaning harm', but that's a very loose and general
definition - don't try to pin me to specifics, please.  "Good" in my books
is almost entirely subjective.

I like a more objective definition because I hate the trend towards
relativism I think we are experiencing these days.  If a sociopath considers
killing others good, is it?  But if good is objective, from who's
perspective?  God, who is by definition, perfect, and therefore the perfect
judge of good and evil.  Discerning God's perspective of good is another
question, but at least the search for good extends beyond our mortal and
imperfect selves.

Anything based on morals (which "good" typically is) IS subjective, and can
never be anything else, at least until God (in whatever guise you like,
assuming you believe in Him) provides us with an absolute morality.(1)
Neither you nor I can ever be certain how said sociopath is acting in relation
to his morality.

That being said, however:  "Good" can also be a societal (or ethical) term as
well.  I find good & evil to be too strong to use when trying to define things
as a group, though - right and wrong work better.  IMHO, calling someone evil
is going to get a stronger reaction than calling someone wrong - and it also
implies more judgement of person than judgement of action.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/