 Off-Topic / Debate / 2986
Re: Longest railroad (was Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 02:14:02 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:01:19 GMT, "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Sheer poppycock. Please demonstrate to me how exactly the market has failed to
provide infrastructure when allowed to do so. Be specific. Include underlying
assumptions.

Have you seen the market produce a viable system of highways?

Highways are the hardest. I'd be happy to see them privatized last, but
they're no big deal, really.

Sorry, there is NO WAY I'm going to agree with privatized highways.  That leads to
tollbooths every 200 ft, with the Companies basically holding you for ransom to get
anywhere.  And you'll never know on a cross-state trip whether or not you have to
have $100 or $1000 cash handy to GET to where you are going.

And if you think that privatizing roadways will not involve non-stop tollbooths,
DREAM ON.

But you miss my point. Merely asserting that the market has failed to
produce something doesn't meet my criterion, above, of demonstrating
what the market failure is. If you're trying to convince ME that the
market doesn't work you're going to have to work a little harder.

The Market works.  But I DON'T want it trying to work in certain areas.  Highways is
definitely one of them.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/