 Off-Topic / Debate / 2982
Re: Longest railroad (was Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 01:05:46 GMT

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 00:29:46 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Easy, railways properly are private. Try to keep up, eh? The only proper
functions of government are the courts, the police, and national
defense. Old ground.

I notice you haven't convinced me of that yet.

Why are railways properly private? Why are highways properly private?

It's not because they result in less drag on the economy, because the
increased competition you keep harping on can only happen with massive
investments from _multiple_ parties instead of just one.

In things as essential to the current economy as transport -
infrastructure in general - why trust the market to do what it has
proven not to be able to?

Jasper