 Off-Topic / Debate / 2985
Re: Longest railroad (was Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 19:45:39 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:01:19 GMT, "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Sheer poppycock. Please demonstrate to me how exactly the market has failed to
provide infrastructure when allowed to do so. Be specific. Include underlying
assumptions.

Have you seen the market produce a viable system of highways?

Highways are the hardest. I'd be happy to see them privatized last, but
they're no big deal, really.
But you miss my point. Merely asserting that the market has failed to
produce something doesn't meet my criterion, above, of demonstrating
what the market failure is. If you're trying to convince ME that the
market doesn't work you're going to have to work a little harder.

Again, to repeat, I don't CARE whether you agree with ME or not and I'm
not trying to convince you or anyone else. The market works, when it is
allowed to. Examples are all around you. (1) Ignore them at your peril,
it's not my concern. Whenever things are privatized, or whenever they
weren't regulated in the first place, we have better infrastructure than
when they were regulated from the get go.

There are no natural monopolies, so regulation is just a way for
goverment to either throw its weight around or secretly collect revenue
or secretly give officials another chance for graft.

Of high-speed digital lines?

I rest my case.

Sorry, not following you here. US digital cost is way cheaper than
european. Thank your postal monopolies for that. Germany's PTT is
particularly insidiously evil.

And the onus is on you to prove it hasn't, as I am not trying to convince you
it has. I don't care if you agree with me or not, after all. I know I'm right,

You sure do.

and you know it too.

Stop speaking for me. Presuming you know what I think is a bit much,
especially in the face of the evidence to the contrary.

And it IS old ground that we've covered before, The fact

Actually, what I seem to remember is letting it go at the time it
first came up after a while, because I didn't feel up to any sort of
intelligent discussion at the time.

It is most emphatically not ground we've covered before. You've stated
your views on it, but I haven't responded yet.

Who is "we" in this context? WE, as in this newsgroup, have thrashed
this out at length. You may not have participated last time, that's
fine, but not germane.

that you didn't get it last time is not my problem, nor is it my concern.

Now that is just nasty and beneath you.

Neither. I merely state that you certainly don't have to believe the
evidence all around you, you  are welcome to ignore facts all I wish.
Since you're not a voter in the US and you don't know my ICBM address,
you can't impact me much with your incorrect thinking so keep on
thinking that way, it's just not my my concern.

1 - In the US, for instance, cable where there is no monopoly (only a
few places, granted) is cheaper and better than where there is, LD
telephone rates have come way down since the ATT government granted
monopoly was unwound, local rates are still high except where there is
competition, wheeling has resulted in lower wholesale electricity rates,
digital bandwidth is in a capacity explosion and price free fall,  and
cell phones, which never were really regulated to start with, have
gotten orders of magnitude cheaper.