 Off-Topic / Debate / 28605
Re: To No One's Big Surprise...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:06:29 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Magno wrote:

Of course, that is not to mention the inherent flaws in the poll...;-)

Oops.

JOHN

Thats my job.

THIS poll was FLAWED!!!

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-1.75&soc=-4.00

(thats me)

and my favorite question:

Abstract art that doesn’t represent anything shouldn’t be considered art at all.

man, i wish there was an option greater than STRONGLY AGREE

I would have checked that one twice.

Why, exactly, must art represent anything?

This reminds me of a debate loooong ago on RTL (search LEGOdeath, IIRC) about art. The rub is in the defining of “art”. What is art? Because if art is anything, then art is everything, and therefore nothing-- that is, the term is meaningless. I tend to agree with Chris; the term “abstract art” is a sort of oxymoron. Why the need to qualify the term “abstract”?

To me, art is something created that lifts the human spirit. It celebrates beauty in a way as to inspire the soul. Art isn’t simply expression or commentary, nor merely a vehicle to create controversy or conversation. It doesn’t necessary need to represent something, but needs to reflect the creativity and the vision of beauty of the artist. Thus, I’d call Duchamp a smart-ass rather than an artist. The problem lies when artists start commentating on art, rather than create art as I see it.

You could say that is a relative statement, but somehow I believe art transcends opinion.

JOHN