 Off-Topic / Debate / 28604
Re: To No One's Big Surprise...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 01:38:52 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Magno wrote:

and my favorite question:

Abstract art that doesn’t represent anything shouldn’t be considered art at all.

man, i wish there was an option greater than STRONGLY AGREE

I would have checked that one twice.

Why, exactly, must art represent anything?

Dave!

Exactly? I feel, that art should be something that is admired by “the common” man; and not be reproducible by the commoner. To me, art is something I would not be able to do. I can not paint a Mona Lisa, or carve “The Thinker.” That is art.

What I can do is cover my canvas with Gesso(tm), slop random paint on said canvas, and mush it with a pallet knife. THAT! is not art.

In short, anything I can do should not be considered art. I hold these same standards of “the masters” as well.

If you like “abstract” then thats fine. In no way am I trying to tell you (or anyone) what to like or not like. All Im doing is expressing a view.

Chris

Monkey #12 from the left.