 Off-Topic / Debate / 28140
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:42:55 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy P. Smith wrote:

   The 9/11 guys weren’t US citizens (I think one or two were). But hasn’t the UK had trouble with terrorism by citizens? (not the Ireland troubles, but the 21st century kind).

   Yeah. Most (if not all) of the Tube bombers and failed tube bombers were UK citizens. Many of them were even born here. I’d personally count that as rebellion.

Hard to say, honestly. I’ve been giving this some more thought, and it seems to me that a necessary component of rebellion is a desire to break from the targeted nation (or break from some or all of its policies) without necessarily requiring the destruction of that nation (though that might conceivably occur in the aftermath). The American Revolutionary War was a rebellion in that it sought a break from the British, but didn’t seek to wreck Britain altogether.

The ostensible goal of Al Quadea is to create an international Islamic State by force. Since this would involve overturning the policies of nations and the acts of terror are (ostensibly) designed to create a situation in which this can happen I would argue that the attackers (where they are citizens) are committing an act of rebellion.

   Further, an attack upon a symbol of/proxy for a country (such as the Statue of Liberty or a Federal building or, frankly, the WTC) doesn’t, in itself, qualify as a rebellion unless a stated aim of the attacker is to break from the country. That is, an attack may be an attempt to injure the national identity in order to express anger at the policies or practices of that country.

Interesting point here. I will note that the Boston Tea Party is considered a part of the American Revolution (a rebellion) and yet it was essentially a symbolic attack.

Of course the attack on the WTC was not merely symbolic and was also designed to kill many people.

   Also, I think it needs to be stated that citizenship alone isn’t sufficient to qualify an attack as a rebellion; if someone becomes a citizen and soon thereafter launches an attack, then that person’s motivation in becoming a citizen must be questioned. But for a native born or long-time citizen, then the issue becomes rather more murky.

Heck, the whole thing is murky anyway.

It is completely murky which is why I think that forcing the rules to be “Rebellion” or “Invasion” is an overly literal reading. These attacks are somewhere in between the two which in my opinion puts them into the spirit of the US Constitution with regards to habeas corpus.

   And it really needs to be said that there are too many Daves and Tims in this discussion. Dave!

LOL.

Tim