 Off-Topic / Debate / 28151
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:15:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   Also, I think it needs to be stated that citizenship alone isn’t sufficient to qualify an attack as a rebellion; if someone becomes a citizen and soon thereafter launches an attack, then that person’s motivation in becoming a citizen must be questioned. But for a native born or long-time citizen, then the issue becomes rather more murky.

Heck, the whole thing is murky anyway.

It is completely murky which is why I think that forcing the rules to be “Rebellion” or “Invasion” is an overly literal reading. These attacks are somewhere in between the two which in my opinion puts them into the spirit of the US Constitution with regards to habeas corpus.

If that’s true, then the appropriate course of action must be to err on the side of preserving liberty. Instead, in the fear-soaked aftermath of 9/11, we saw the Congress tripping over itself in its abdicate its Constitutional responsibility, and we’ll be paying the price for their irresponsibility for decades to come.

Dave!