 Off-Topic / Debate / 28104
  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) Gonzo suffers from the delusion that the Prez is his client, when in fact he should be serving the interests of the citizenry. Instead of a champion of law, the Attorney General is acting as the primary enabler of and passionate advocate for (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) I wouldn't call incarcerating enemy combatants a disastrous policy. (...) I'd feel more comfortable discussing a specific example rather than addressing spurious, blanket attacks. (...) Every branch works the system to their advantage. It has (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) Sure it is, if these individuals are stripped of all rights to trial. Bush is declaring "they're guilty because I say so, so we don't need a trial to hold them indefinitely." Sorry, but that's a pretty abominable statement for the leader of (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) Enemy combatants have never had a right to trial. (...) This term wasn't invented or coined by President Bush, so don't blame him or Gonzo. (...) Is your rant against the classification of "enemy combatant" and its legal status? Or are you (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) But they are entitled to certain protections that, by design, are denied to this latest batch. For example, prisoners of war are to be released at the war's end, but Dubya has pretty clearly stated that the War on Terror will never be over. So (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) Excellent question. I don't know. But I do know that if they are released, they will attack us again. (...) No, I think it was in response to a new category of enemy who isn't represented by a nation-state. They don't deserve a trial by jury. (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) John, with due respect, you don't know that. Many of these detainees were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, or they were mistaken for someone else, or they were coerced into fighting against invading US forces. We have only the word (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) Do you? You stated in the post before this that you have no idea what info the gubmint has on these people, now you seem to know the facts. Which is it? You know, incarceration != guilt. The gubmint either needs to take the time to prove (...) (17 years ago, 4-Feb-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???

(...) I'm not sure an American can really use that argument without being hypocritical. (Hey, Britain's record on the subject isn't too great either, before you say anything) Tim (17 years ago, 24-Mar-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)