 Off-Topic / Debate / 28167
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 04:38:47 GMT

John wrote:

Enemy combatants have never had a right to trial.
But they are entitled to certain protections that, by design, are denied to
this latest batch.  For example, prisoners of war are to be released at the
war's end, but Dubya has pretty clearly stated that the War on Terror will
never be over.  So when might these prisoners, in theory, be released?

Excellent question.  I don't know.  But I do know that if they are released,
they will attack us again.

Do you?  You stated in the post before this that you have no idea what
info the gubmint has on these people, now you seem to know the facts.

Which is it?

You know, incarceration != guilt.  The gubmint either needs to take the
time to prove guilt, or let them go.  Or at least fess up that they have
no intention of even thinking about Freedom in any way, shape, or form
ever again, so maybe the last 28% can get a frigging clue and get the
rest of the rats out of office (unfortunately probably just voting in a
newer breed of rat, though).

No, I think it was in response to a new category of enemy who isn't represented
by a nation-state.  They don't deserve a trial by jury.  Would a trial by a
military tribunal suffice?  But then I suppose that the left would scream that
the trials wouldn't be fair.  Heck, the left would scream at anything that
wouldn't include complete exoneration along with millions in reparations.

Psh.  You probably consider me Left (though I'm Centric, you're just too
far Right to see it), but if a *valid* trial showed guilt, I say string
em up.  But just rotting them until they die isn't the way to go.

That's why Bushco's novel interpretations of "torture" are so troubling, by
the way.

Look, torture cuts to the chase.  Haven't you learned anything from 5+ years of
24?

Um, yeah.  I know this is a joke (even though I've seen at most 15min of
24 ever), but torture simply gets the torturers the answer they want,
regardless of whether it's the true or not.  Of course, that *is* highly
convenient for the torturers.

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/