 Off-Topic / Debate / 28168
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 05:00:11 GMT

John wrote:

I don't see an upside of leaving at this time, but I see a big downside.  What's
the rush?  I think it is driven more by hatred for President Bush than it is for
a desire for the overall security of the US.  Because the war is a policy of
President Bush, the left and dems (with a few noted exceptions) must
knee-jerkedly oppose it.

So you see no problem with spending a TRillion dollars per country for
the war on terror?  How long do you think the US can do this before a
total collapse?  Regardless of our rosy economy, if we insist on
spending a TRillion dollars on Iraq alone, and keep threatening to march
into other countries, we're done for.

As for fighting on the front, Bush would still have my support IF he had
stuck with just Afghanistan.  There was a true terror front there
(that's getting worse), and we had a valid reason to be there.  We never
really had a valid reason to be in Iraq.

Please answer these two questions, for the record:¬
What would qualify as success in Iraq?¬

The formation of a stable, democratic `[1`] state of Iraq.

I don't see this ever happening, the Shiite/Sunnis will never agree
enough to let it continue.  I sure do hope I'm wrong, though.

What would qualify as failure?

A Lebanon-type situation, or a 1979 Iranian-type revolution.

or the current situation?  Sure seems to be a failure to me, when you
count up the bodies and $s spent for a less stable country.

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/