 Off-Topic / Debate / 28113
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:46:14 GMT

   Gonzo suffers from the delusion that the Prez is his client, when in fact he should be serving the interests of the citizenry. Instead of a champion of law, the Attorney General is acting as the primary enabler of and passionate advocate for whatever disastrous policies Cheney et al can come up with.

I wouldn’t call incarcerating enemy combatants a disastrous policy.

Sure it is, if these individuals are stripped of all rights to trial. Bush is declaring “they’re guilty because I say so, so we don’t need a trial to hold them indefinitely.” Sorry, but that’s a pretty abominable statement for the leader of the free world to make.

If these people have committed crimes, let them stand trial and be sentenced. If they have not committed crimes, then release them. It’s really that simple, and artificial, self-serving designators like “enemy combatant,” designed to subvert the intent of the Geneva convention, are no excuse.

   The AG mentioned his view that “activist judges” aren’t qualified to rule on matters of national security and therefore should be ignored at the President whim. Well, he might be half right, but that’s it: judges *may* not be qualified to rule on national security issues, but they certainly *are* qualified to rule on the propriety of law and its application (or subversion). So when Dubya decides, for example, in his fascist mania to imprison a US citizen permanently without charge or trial, it is indeed up to the judiciary to rein him in, regardless of how urgently Dubya insists that he’s above all considerations of law.

I’d feel more comfortable discussing a specific example rather than addressing spurious, blanket attacks.

I’m addressing the entire policy of indefinite incarceration without trial, so specific examples aren’t really needed (though there are many). What are you asking, exactly?

   So let’s see: Bush claims authority to issue “signing statements” whereby, in effect, he creates new and binding legislation all by himself, and he also declares (through his puppet Gonzales) that no judge has the power to rule against him. Someone tell me again when we stopped being a nominal democracy?

Every branch works the system to their advantage. It has always been thusly, and since the invention of the fillibuster.

That’s a gross overstatement, and even if true, it’s still no excuse. The various branches do not exceed their Constitutionally-granted powers, and they certainly don’t claim blanket authority to do it. Bush, in horrifying contrast, has done so repeatedly and with no justification beyond an obedient Republican Congress.

   I can think of at least one stalwart defender of the Bush administration who might post a reply condoning Bush’s tactics, but it’s worth nothing that Dubya’s supporters account for around 28% of the population at the moment. Clearly *somebody* must have decided that Bush is going about things the wrong way...

How do you solve a problem like Sharia? How do you catch a thug and pin it down?

First of all, I initially read that as Shania, to which I say “What the heck is the problem?!?” Then I read it again.

But anyway I’m not sure what you mean. Are you asking if I’m against a fundamentalist, totalitarian theocracy? You know that I am, both here and abroad. So what are you asking?

   This kind of war is new and traditional rules don’t necessarily apply without some heavy “interpretation”.

Even if that’s true, it’s still no excuse for abandoning the principles of liberty on which this country was founded. And that’s quite a policy shift for a President who, not long ago, claimed that our enemies hate us because they hate our freedom.

   Compare to the use of “privacy” in Roe vs Wade.

Well, start a new thread if you want to go there.

   What should we do with militants bent on our destruction? Let them go? How does that make sense?

I addressed this above, but the quick answer is: put them on trial. If you simply hold them in perpetuity on the grounds that “I think that they were up to something,” then how can you declare with confidence that you’re correct?

If they’re guilty, then punish them. If they’re not guilty, then release them. But it is imperative that their cases be heard, otherwise the Constitution is moot. (Or mute, if you work in my office, of course.)

Dave!