 Off-Topic / Debate / 2807
Re: Naive Sellers (Was Re: 4561 alternates (was: sale at kbkids)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:45:50 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Tom Stangl wrote:

But you know, Emmanuel is a big boy - I'm SURE he knows by now that he can
raise prices on some sets without problems, and make more money, but he
doesn't.  His reasons are his own, I will not question them.

What makes you so sure?  Some of his prices are SO far below MV ($38 for a
4547??) that I wonder.  You won't question them because you don't want to look
a gift horse in the mouth.  At what point do you say as a friend, "dude, you
need to be charging more for some of this stuff"?

Emmanuel KNOWS he can charge more.  Time after time, he has gotten sets  that
people have requested, and he has sold them out virtually instantly.  He HAS to
know he could raise the prices and still sell them out.  But he doesn't/hasn't.
Again, his reasons are his own.  On those special lots he gets, he also doesn't
take pre-orders, to give everyone a fair shot.

He DOES know what he's doing.

Besides, who knows, maybe he's having convicts dig them out of the ground in
AU <duck>.

ROFL

More likely he has found some of the larger warehouses that have misc stock
taking up space, and he gets them for pennies on the dollar.

Rationalization.  Nice try.

Well, he CERTAINLY has to be making at least something on them, or he wouldn't
stay in business, would he?

In any case, I CAN'T afford to ask him to charge me more, if he doesn't want
to.  Maybe you can, *I* can't.

I don't mind taking advantage of Toysmart deals or Walmart or K-Mart, but
fellow LUGNETers is a different story.  When I read about the Friday madness
sale, my first thought wasn't, "D'oh! I missed out", or "D'oh, those lucky
bums", but "He just gave away $1000s for nothing".  Bummed me out.

YMMV,
John

John Neal wrote:

Tom Stangl wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

PS, I think it's time to start a thread in off-topic.debate about how
unfair it is that someone else got all the 4547s from DYA and I didn't
get any, right? :-)

<snort>

That Larry, he's a funny one!

Seriously though, buying 4547s for $38 from Emmanuel is like taking candy
from a baby.  I hate to see a good trader like Emmanuel literally screw
himself out of $1000s.  I would feel funny being the "lucky" buyer.

-John
(follow-up to debate)

Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/