 Off-Topic / Debate / 27627
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:58:16 GMT

snip

   And I’ll tie that into belief in God. In the end, I believe that we won’t be judged by what we believed, but what we actually did based on those beliefs.

So you’re a James disiple--“faith without works” and all that?

Yup. Faith without works is like a day without a bicycle. Or is that a woman without a man is like a fish without sunshine.... Something like that:-)

   I’m pretty much there except I say “In the end, I believe that we’ll be judged on what we did” and leave the beliefs out of it, because I know alotta very good athiests that do good works all the time.

That’s fine and good, but there’s one caveat, and Jesus addresses this issue DIRECTLY in no uncertain terms (and for ALL TIME I might add). Good works can very quickly, if not inevitably, lead to self-righteousness. This is why God must be involved. God is a higher power to whom we must account, and not simply to ourselves. It is the only way we can hope to obtain humility.

The whole idea behind belief in God is providing rationalization for acting morally. Loving God IS loving your neighbor. “Whatsoever you do to the least of my children, that you do unto me.” (from memory; too lazy to cite).

Sorry. </tangent>

JOHN

http://sandysparky.net/blog/00000402.php

(another blog about the protesting muslims, but uses the ‘what you do to the least of them’ thing, so it’s a co-tangent...)

Love the tangents...

Yes, they look so haat in pink oxfords;-)

JOHN