 Off-Topic / Debate / 27614
Re: How Do You Solve A Problem Like
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:56:27 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   Mahmoud? Seriously.

Israel bombs it back to the stone age.

I did say “seriously”....

Nothing funny about it, and I wasn’t recommending it, I was just tracing a line from the past into the future, answering the question about how you solve this problem.

   If in case you are serious (which I seriously doubt), then there is a problem with your solution-- the Iranians apparently thought of that already and have substantially decentralized their stuff, making a 1 shot bombing raid ineffective

Yes yes, no fools these Iranians. Is there some reason you think that the US would not give the Israelis enough to hit the 20-odd sites necessary? What possible point could there be for giving them enough for only part of the job?

   (assuming that you are talking about bombing their nuke facility)

Very astute.

   Actually, my question actually addressed the president himself.

What an inscrutable thing to do here. I’ll be a bit surprised if Mahmoud Ahmadinejad reads Lugnet.

Oh wait, maybe you meant you addressed the ‘problem’ of the president himself :-)

Silly me, I read what America says is the problem that needs to be addressed, and thought that’s what you meant the problem was too. See, they say that the problem is that Iran will create nuclear weapons, give them to people who hate the west, people who will either smuggle these devices into western countries and blow up western cities or otherwise blow up western assets. I can well understand why you might have come to distrust the American government’s stated explanations of problems that must be addressed.

But if this isn’t the problem, then this guy (in the context of the article you cited) is just another in a longish line of people who do not recognise the primacy of the US, UN, IMF or World Bank, and whose public rattlings seem to be disengaged from the popular view of reality. There are plenty of people do do not recognise the primacy thingie, and huge numbers of people whose public rattlings are disengaged from reality, John. This guy is just in the smaller group of people in both groups. I’m not sure why you feel the need to do anything about this ‘problem’.

And if you read what he said, some of it doesn’t seem so unreasonable. The International Atomic Energy Agency is pretty darn funny when you think about it. And there is a pretty good case to argue that their enemies are idiots - very powerful and very dangerous certainly, but obviously quite idiotic, stupid, and toe curlingly reckless at times. And Iran doesn’t need anyone else - like most countries, if they are willing to sacrifice standards of living (and they are), they can live without international trade and support. And the rest of the world does need Iran, or more specifically Iranian assets, which means, unless you plan to steal these assets, getting along with them or doing without yourself.

Or maybe the problem is that this is a guy who does not recognise the primacy of the US, UN, IMF or World Bank, and who is sitting on a great big pool of oil he might not want to give you at the price you want to pay.

I can trace you a line to show you how you solve a problem like that too if you like...

Richard
Still baldly going...