 Off-Topic / Debate / 2744
Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 06:21:23 GMT

Richard Franks <spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote:
In my opinion? Certainly not! Grudging permission, tolerance maybe. But then it
is not the charter of pause and brickshelf to contain company secrets.

You call them company secrets.  Company secrets that are so
important that they're stored in catalogs that many retailers leave
on the shelf for customers to see.  The thought that, 2 weeks before
these hit the shelves (or 2 months, or whatever) these are "company
secrets" just doesn't wash with me.  What exactly about those little
Mickey Mouse sets is so secret that TLC might get mad at Huw for
having a pic on his site but won't (or hasn't for YEARS) taken
action against all these European retailers for having them on the
shelf?  Please...

I really don't understand this "They haven't told us not to, so it's okay"
attitude!

I don't either, to be honest.  But it's used to justify some things,
just not this one silly thing that a couple of people got all hot
and bothered about.

TLC may be warming up their lawyers just now, and while they are at it they may
take action against a few other things that have been bothering them for a
while too.

OR, they may continue to be silent.  Either way, I'm not too
concerned.

Publishing company secrets, whether we think they are important or not, crosses
the line between being a fan and showing respect.

I'll accept that TLC gives a hoot about this when I hear them say
it.  Until then, mainly what I've heard is a lot of crying on their
behalf, admittedly by good-intentioned people.

As for TLC-AFOL relations, the only relations I see are the AFOLs
spending money on TLC's products and having ... none? of their
ideas/requests/offers given any consideration at all.

Does your position on this come from your bitterness about your experiences
with TLC?

You bet.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?