 Off-Topic / Debate / 27236
Re: Gas prices in USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
The price of gasoline here in the States has been too [@#$%&*] high all during
Bush II's reign, and now (thanks to H. Katrina) they're getting higher!  I've
heard that Gov. Perdue (GA) has ordered gas stations to close tonight at 4:30pm
here in Georgia, and tomorrow the price will be $5/gallon!  >:(

OK, I can see how the loss of our refineries in the Gulf of Mexico will hurt us,
but that does not justify an overnight (!!) increase of 100% (I've been getting
gas for around $2.50/gallon).

What are you going to do to fix this, Dubya?  As little as you've BEEN doing,
looks like!

And why haven't we been pumping out more of the oil we've got in the Alaskan
fields?

I have a 30-mile commute (one-way) from home to the office.  This is killing me.

[whimper] . . .

Hi,

Here (France) the price of gasoline is about $6.5 $/gallon (1.40 euros/l) and
raising. I have a 45-50 miles (74 km) commute from home to the office (quite the
same situation for my wife).

To answer to Allister, I have to say the government IS, in many ways,
responsible for my commuting situation (that's NOT my commuting CHOICES - I do
not make the choice to spend 2 hours in my car to go work).

I have to say that's NOT the market price but mainly taxes.

Yes, pumping more oil is not a solution, but the government choice is NOT to
investigate alternatives choices that are, in fact, well known.

I'm not prepared to pay this price but my other choices are to live separate of
my wife or to dismissed and then stay single or unemployed.

Hopefully, I enjoy LEGO bricks.

Regards,

Didier