 Off-Topic / Debate / 27239
Re: Gas prices in USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:52:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
The price of gasoline here in the States has been too [@#$%&*] high all during
Bush II's reign, and now (thanks to H. Katrina) they're getting higher!

I have a 30-mile commute (one-way) from home to the office.  This is killing me.

[whimper] . . .

The government is not responsible for your commuting choices. Low petrol prices
are not a right, and they're not likely to get lower no matter how much gets
pumped out of the ground.

If you're not prepared to pay the market price, your only choice is to
investigate alternatives. Move closer to work. Get a bicycle. Use public
transport. Minimise car use. It's personal choices that make the most
difference. Whining about how the government should fix it won't change a thing,
and merely pumping more oil is a short-term solution at best.

Cheers,

Allister

Whereas I fundamentally agree with your words, the 'election platform' of the
current president was that, if need be, he'd go 'toe to toe' with OPEC to keep
gas prices low.

As well, many republicans whined bitterly and blamed Bubba when he was in power
and the prices of petrol started to rise.  Now that the prices are higher than
they've ever been, what do we hear from these same people?  Nothing besides,
'Eh, what can ya do?'

The hypocricy is thicker than oil.

Dave K