 Off-Topic / Debate / 27083
Re: Here's a scary one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:10:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
Frank Filz wrote:
In this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/16/hamilton.child.support/index.html

it is proposed that the government keep and publish a list of all
accusations of child molestation. While the intent to make it easier
to discover molesters is good, it has serious consequences for
someone wrongly accused. Already, it is kind of scary (as someone who
volunteers with youth) how easily one's life can be destroyed by a
kid deciding to "get even" with someone by making an accusation. To
make these false accusations easily searchable would probably make it
impossible to recover from such an accusation.

Ok, now here's one that's even scarier:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-molest01.html

What's really scary though is the debate over on Sean K. Reynold's boards
where one guy is saying that the guy deserved the punnishment because he
broke the particular law. No reasoning that perhaps when laws are unjust any
conviction under them is also unjust and that we should be outraged.

I wonder what percentage of the US adult population could be convicted under
this law and labeled sex offenders? How many teachers?

Teachers are usually assumed to have the benefit of in loco parentis, which
grants them some immunity from this kind of thing (though I don't know of a good
test-case that defines the boundaries).

Barnaby's attorney said it exactly right: "If you see a 15-year-old beating up
your 8-year-old and you grab that kid's hand and are found guilty of unlawful
restraint, do you now have to register as a sex offender?"

Still, you're correct that this is an outrage.  I've discussed this very case on
another forum, and the consensus there was that he *might* be guilty of
assaulting a minor (i.e., physically grabbing her without her permission) but a
sex crime?  Come on!

Unless Barnaby was naked at the time, I guess.  Or she was.

Dave!