 Off-Topic / Debate / 27082
Re: Here's a scary one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:44:56 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:
In this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/16/hamilton.child.support/index.html

it is proposed that the government keep and publish a list of all
accusations of child molestation. While the intent to make it easier
to discover molesters is good, it has serious consequences for
someone wrongly accused. Already, it is kind of scary (as someone who
volunteers with youth) how easily one's life can be destroyed by a
kid deciding to "get even" with someone by making an accusation. To
make these false accusations easily searchable would probably make it
impossible to recover from such an accusation.

Ok, now here's one that's even scarier:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-molest01.html

What's really scary though is the debate over on Sean K. Reynold's boards
where one guy is saying that the guy deserved the punnishment because he
broke the particular law. No reasoning that perhaps when laws are unjust any
conviction under them is also unjust and that we should be outraged.

I wonder what percentage of the US adult population could be convicted under
this law and labeled sex offenders? How many teachers?

Makes me almost want to sympathise with Joseph Edward Duncan III who
allegedly was railing on his web site about how the criminal system so
stigmatizes criminals that they have no hope of ever rejoining society
(actually, I do think he's in general right, though he's also obviously a
case of why we need good ways to deal with the real creeps, without also
sweeping up people who might actually just be trying to be good citizens).

Frank