 Off-Topic / Debate / 27058
Re: Here's a scary one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:11:19 GMT

In the UK, we do not name-and-shame as it is recognised that it can force
individuals underground instead of bringing them back into society.

Scott A

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
In this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/16/hamilton.child.support/index.html

it is proposed that the government keep and publish a list of all
accusations of child molestation. While the intent to make it easier to
discover molesters is good, it has serious consequences for someone wrongly
accused. Already, it is kind of scary (as someone who volunteers with youth)
how easily one's life can be destroyed by a kid deciding to "get even" with
someone by making an accusation. To make these false accusations easily
searchable would probably make it impossible to recover from such an
accusation.

I'm down with publishing convictions but accusations? Not so much.

As it turns out maybe I'm biased, we had a recent situation where having the
convictions published was a good thing as it got someone outed that really
didn't need to be around kids nearly as much as he or she was. Sorry, no more
detail than that please.