 Off-Topic / Debate / 26879
Re: Protests too much
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 08:37:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joseph Greene wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joseph Greene wrote:

   Similarly, I don’t recall the CNN piece about the US’ use of phosphorous bombs on civilians in Falluja--can someone point me to it?

   Well, as callous as it sounds, I do believe that after 2000+ years of continuous war in the middle east the term ‘innocent civilian’ is an oxymoron when referring to that part of the world.. just my mean spirited opinion...

I agree that it sounds callous and mean-spirited, and in raw pragmatic terms it’s just not a helpful course to pursue. By that same logic, we in the United States have been involved in well over two centuries of continuous war, so anyone could simply start killing US civilians with essentially equal justification.

   Two words: Carpet Bombing

So genocide as a tool of war remains on the table for you? Thanks, but I’d like a different table.

Two other words: Campaign Bombing. As in “This whole stupid campaign is bombing, which is to say that it’s all a miserable failure.”

Dave!

Maybe I should rephrase that, I believe that If we could trust them to only bomb the begeezers out of each other, we should leave, and simply ignore their existence until the stop the fighting. But they won’t keep it within their own hemisphere even..So if we can’t leave them be safely... Then play big or stay at home. Beside genocide would entail the destruction of the human race, not merely a couple of small countries.

Not quite true.

   Oh, yeah and 200 years is only a tenth of the time they’ve been initiating hostilities against each other and the rest of the world, so I don’t believe there’s much comparison.

Yeah... but many of the recent conflicts were aided by Washington. Think about how SH got WMD.

   Additionally, the US rarely instigates a war, although we seem to finish enough of them after someone takes a potshot at us...

Tell that to the millions slaughtered at the hands of Washington in South-East Asia. What about Washington’s recent meddling in Central America? Its current support Israel, Uzbekistan and perhaps even Sudan?

   I would certainly consider 9/11 a significant potshot...

Ugly as it was, have you ever thought about why that pot-shot was taken?

   Or Saddam’s early 90’s threat of nuclear action... I’d rather the world got along, but if it can’t, I’m all for eliminating the antagonists.

Based on my viewing of “In the line of fire”, I thought threatening your president was an offence? ;)

Scott A