 Off-Topic / Debate / 26565
Re: Where is the justice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:06:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Hallman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
Charles Graner gets {10 years} for torture.

George Bush gets {"4 (more) years"} for mass murder.

Where is the justice?

The Justice? Justice? Are you one of those people that think the United
Nations is the greatest thing since creamed cheese?

No reason to suspect this.  As I recall Scott has some serious reservations
about some of the things the UN has done.  I think he was talking about Bush Jr,
the current US President and Leader of the Free World.

Because I haven’t seen anything good from them in the last five years.

Perhaps you could watch something other than Fox News?

Under the Dubya Administration, the United States has:

Freed a country from totalitarian oppression

Freed {another} country from totalitarian oppression.

There are worse things than totalitarianism.  Indeed, watching the US slide from
its upholding of personal freedoms by seriously curtailing its citizen's
privacy, and radically strengthening its government's powers to do whatever it
likes, one might conclude that even US citizens are prepared to trade more
totalitarianism for cheaper gas and greater distance from people their
government does not like.

Helped the countless homeless and injured people in Indonesia, Sri Lanka from
the Tsunami that devastated the region.

Mmmmm.  True, but who didn't?  As I recall the US was a bit tardy compared to
others, and the contribution is hardly a relatively impressive slice of GDP.
Don't get me wrong, everything is helpful, but to try to turn it into a glowing
reference for the Bush Administration as an expression of the magnitude of the
invasion of Iraq is simply ridiculous.

If you are saying the information that he is a mass murderer, because you are
a democrat, I don’t see the gleaming power of the left wing coming that good
either. The past Democratic president was a adulterer and didn't accomplish
anything memorable in office, while the last democratic president hopeful
was a lying, wishy washy decision maker who killed with his own hands
countless civilians in Vietnam.

I profess I don't care much for the democratic v republican chatter, but I do
note that Clinton was held in far higher regard internationally than Bush Jr is,
there seems little doubt that the US economy was in better shape under Clinton's
leadership, and that personal liberty and privacy in the US has been seriously
diminished under Bush Jr.

I won't list and laud Clinton's achievements, but to say there was nothing
memorable points to a poor memory more than anything else.

And to suggest that a problem with Clinton's fly could be compared with the
huge, far reaching and worsening implications of the wilful and reckless
selfishness of US foreign policy for countless millions of people around the
world is exactly the sort of domestic lack of perspective that has the rest of
the world laughing its pants off.

Richard
Still baldly going...