 Off-Topic / Debate / 2615
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:00:56 GMT

"Scott E. Sanburn" wrote:
Scott-A wrote:
To a larger extent, I really do think this is paranoia. I suppose in the States
every thing seams to have a monitory value, and/or is exploited for it. My only
real gripe with the US system is that it has resulted in so much social
exclusion within society. I'm talking about people who have only limited access
to health, education and other parts of society. I think these are very real
problems.
This is a major misperception from what I have read in numerous e-mail
posts from people in Great Britain, do you have examples of "limited
access" to health care, etc. or is this just a random statement? You can
go to any employer here and get health care coverage, from gas stations
to retail shops to factories, etc.

Thanks for the chuckle, Scott.  I promise I won't try to perpetuate a common
misconception of America.  ;-)

However...the first job I was ever offered health care in is my current one as
a software developer.  No other job I've had -- college lab assistant, chef,
telemarketer (the shame of it all), wood-shop floor sawdust-removal
technician, CAD/CAM engineer, aluminmum foundry flunky, you name it -- ever
offered more than Worker's Compensation, and only because that is the minimum
required by law.  I am somewhat ashamed to admit, my teeth went for seven
years without a checkup.  (1)

But then this morning as I was filling my gas tank, I noticed the clerk behind
the counter was filling out an employee benefits worksheet, so perhaps things
have changed significantly in the past ten years.

Now, while I will agree with Scott-A that everything (within and without the
U.S.) has a dollar value, I cannot subscribe to his notion that everything is
exploited for it.  Exploitation does not require monetary worth, and quite a
few folks are extremely scrupulous about how they handle their business.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Seven years without a dentist, and not one cavity.  Six months after my
first dental checkup in a long long time, and three cavities magically
appeared.  It's caused by that red gritty stuff they slather all over your
teeth, I tell ya.

It's a fine line between marketing and grand theft. -- Scott Adams