 Off-Topic / Debate / 2616
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:10:37 GMT

Jeremy,

Sproaticus wrote:

This is a major misperception from what I have read in numerous e-mail
posts from people in Great Britain, do you have examples of "limited
access" to health care, etc. or is this just a random statement? You can
go to any employer here and get health care coverage, from gas stations
to retail shops to factories, etc.

Thanks for the chuckle, Scott.  I promise I won't try to perpetuate a common
misconception of America.  ;-)

Misconception? I thought I typed misperception, oh I did. I am glad I
can get you to
laugh, however!

However...the first job I was ever offered health care in is my current one as
a software developer.  No other job I've had -- college lab assistant, chef,
telemarketer (the shame of it all), wood-shop floor sawdust-removal
technician, CAD/CAM engineer, aluminmum foundry flunky, you name it -- ever
offered more than Worker's Compensation, and only because that is the minimum
required by law.  I am somewhat ashamed to admit, my teeth went for seven
years without a checkup.  (1)

Hmm...I had health insurance from my mom and dad through high school and
some college, I didn't have it for three months when I came back from
Ohio to Michigan, and I have had it ever since, at Meijer, at all of my
engineering jobs, and the plastic parts plant I worked for. Since I am
working at Meijer, even part time people get it now. It is a must with
the economy the way it is. As for the dentists, it has been up and down.
I have coverage again now, I now I need work, but I have not gone as of
yet.

But then this morning as I was filling my gas tank, I noticed the clerk behind
the counter was filling out an employee benefits worksheet, so perhaps things
have changed significantly in the past ten years.

It has, thanks due to a certain person! :) (Another debate, another
time!)

Now, while I will agree with Scott-A that everything (within and without the
U.S.) has a dollar value,

? Do you mean most things, as in insurance and the like, or am I missing
something?

I cannot subscribe to his notion that everything is
exploited for it.  Exploitation does not require monetary worth, and quite a
few folks are extremely scrupulous about how they handle their business.

Exploitation comes from many sources, for different reasons, etc. For
the most part I have been pleased with the LUGNET community and trading
and the like. Even the one I was most concerned about contacted me and
got my package out, so I think most people try to be good about deals
and the like. I am learning a lot just from my first E-bay postings, for
my roommate Tony.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/legoindex.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!