 Off-Topic / Debate / 26024
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:19:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Coronado wrote:

   i actually grew up in a loving environment that taught me that right and wrong are absolutes and nothing is relative. believing that has kept me out of trouble many times.

Then you’ve been lucky not to have been exposed to reality, since you have been given such an inadequate set of tools for dealing with it.

If you are in a position to save either one innocent person or a pair of innocent people from certain death, but you can’t save both the individual and the pair, what do you do? It seems to me that you must make a choice based on the relative value of the one versus the two. How do you make this decision?

In reality, little that is absolute is accessible to us, which is to say that even if something is truly absolute, we as humans aren’t generally qualified to assess it (I am excluding mathematical or Boolean absolutes, which are different from what we’re discussing). We may choose to enshrine certain values or customs as “absolute,” but these aren’t “absolute” in any real sense.

   on the contrary--i’m not talking about intolerance toward people, i’m talking about intolerance toward homosexuality. i do not hate homosexuals. i merely hate the idea of it. i believe that homosexuality is wrong. if that labels me as a bigot, then i’ll have to live with that.

First off, if you uniformly hate a group because of an inherent characteristic of that group, then it is reasonable for an observer to conclude that you also hate the members of that group who also have that characteristic. To say that you don’t hate the members of a group that you do hate, when “membership” in that group is determined solely by having the hated-by-you characteristic of that group, then you are not simply bigoted--you’re nonsensical.

   what bothers me is that not only are homosexuals trying to get the world to accept them, they are practically shoving their lifestyle down our throats.

Again with the mixed metaphors? What is it with homophobes and the need to use “down my throat” and “thrusting in my face” as such common images when discussing homosexuality? Your hot, steamy invective really gets my rhetorical pulse throbbing!

   i go back to my original point of this whole thing: WHAT DOES LEGO HAVE TO DO WITH HOMOSEXUALITY? why must they (you--or whatever) bring homosexuality into every part of our lives? i see it in magazines, t.v., movies, books, newspapers. IT DOESN”T BELONG IN A LEGO NEWSGROUP! i don’t talk about heterosexual things here, so why do you have to talk about homosexual things?

No one is preventing you from discussing heterosexual things, whatever those may be. When I announced the birth of my son, no militant homosexuals denounced me for proclaiming my heterosexuality. Therefore, there is no compelling reason to prevent people from discussing homosexual things, whatever those may be.

   kids read this stuff, so why do we have to bring up sex at all (and don’t tell me homosexuality is not about sex, because it is).

Sure it is! And heterosexuality is about sex. Kids are, by definition, about sex, and in many (but certainly not all) ways sex is about kids. What’s your point?

   you have got to be kidding me: “without interference, hassle, and judgement?” the homosexual agenda uses the media to force its views on society. it permeates throughout my home because of the media--i call that interference and hassle and i don’t want my children to think that homosexuality is o.k.

What if one of your children turns out to be gay? Will you condemn that child to spend his or her life thinking that he or she is not okay, simply because of your value system? What kind of parent would inflict this cruelty on a child?

   i also believe that homosexuality is not perfectly natural, but a perversion of a natural and beautiful thing that GOD created to exist between a man and a woman through marriage. and being labeled a “bigot” because i don’t agree with you or this whole “lavender brick” issue is being judgemental as well. the pendulum swings both ways. yes, i’ll admit it--i’m also being judgemental. it is a problem i need to work on in my life. but i try to look at homosexuals like i look at smokers. i hate smoking, but i do not hate people who smoke. that is my only reasoning. if you don’t or can’t understand it, then so be it. i’ve said my peace.

I understand it, and I’d wager that Chris understands it. But you’ve made a serious logical mistake to compare homosexuality with smoking, and you seem not to understand it. Smoking is a voluntary action undertaken by a person who has made the effort to acquire, light, and inhale the smoke of cigarettes (or pipe, or whatever). Homosexuality is part of a person’s identity, just as heterosexuality is part of your identity.

Dave!