 Off-Topic / Debate / 26025
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:24:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Coronado wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   Look Jason, I can’t help it that you’re wrong. I can’t help it that you grew up in an abusive (if only mildly) environment.

i actually grew up in a loving environment that taught me that right and wrong are absolutes and nothing is relative.

That’s exactly what I mean. Maybe it’s not even your parents’ fault. I’m willing to give that. Maybe they just didn’t know better -- and now you don’t. But it’s still wrong. And raising kids, teaching them untruth as if it were truth, is abusive. Not the kind of abuse that makes it impossible for you to relate to others. Not the kind of abuse that keeps you from holding a job. But that’s why I called it mild. And unless you are helped, you will presumably pass that misunderstanding along to your own kids (or already have).

   You’re talking about intolerance toward people who are doing no harm to you or anyone else.

   on the contrary--i’m not talking about intolerance toward people, i’m talking about intolerance toward homosexuality. i do not hate homosexuals. i merely hate the idea of it. i believe that homosexuality is wrong.

So this “hatred” of homosexuality doesn’t color the way you treat homosexuals at all? Come on! No one else buys that, how could you? Look, I hate victimizers. I admit it. And hell yes, it affects the way I treat them. I try to always remember that they themselves were victims but there’s this little immature part of me that is glad when they “get what’s coming.” And on the rare occasions that I have found myself in a position of having to deal with them first hand, my feelings about them certainly colored my treatment of them.

   if that labels me as a biggot, then i’ll have to live with that.

But the point is, you shouldn’t have to live with it. With a little work -- maybe some counselling, or homosexual experimentation, you could get over your irrational hatred. Think how much healthier you could be without this spite gnawing away at your insides!

   what bothers me is that not only are homosexuals trying to get the world to accept them, they are practically shoving their lifestyle down our throats.

You know, they can only do what they can do. The idea is that with enough exposure, eventually the rest of us will sit up and notice that they’re just people too. Doing their own thing, not hurting anyone. If they are gregarious about their sexual prefence it is in reaction to the stifling environment that we have engineered for them. Only we can make it so they don’t have to act that way anymore.

   i go back to my original point of this whole thing: WHAT DOES LEGO HAVE TO DO WITH HOMOSEXUALITY?

Sexuality is an integral part of every human endevour. It is the single most important motivator for life. Everything we do is colored by a sexual lense.

   why must they (you--or whatever) bring homosexuality into every part of our lives? i see it in magazines, t.v., movies, books, newspapers.

Specifically, because, as we return to my first note to you, you need the exposure. Before they will be treated fairly in our society, the irrational malice that YOU bear toward their lifestyle must be rooted out and destroyed. And they don’t have any other tools with which to attempt this correction.

   IT DOESN”T BELONG IN A LEGO NEWSGROUP!

It does! It belongs everywhere. Because there’s nothing wrong with it. The very fact of your discomfort it the problem, not the solution.

   i don’t talk about heterosexual things here,

Really? You’ve never mentioned your wife or girlfriend or whatever? Or how about your mother and father? Have you ever depicted a minifig couple in a MOC?

   so why do you have to talk about homosexual things?

A) Because you’re wrong -- there is a great deal of heterosexual discussion going on here all the time. B) Because it doesn’t harm anyone. C) Because you need it as therapy.

   kids read this stuff, so why do we have to bring up sex at all (and don’t tell me homosexuality is not about sex, because it is).

Homosexuality is exactly as much about sex as heterosexuality is. Which is to say, sex is a pretty important topic to everyone. And that’s good! Sex rocks. And it’s OK for kids to know it. All of these love/sex/bonding issues are healthy things for kids and adults to consider and discuss.

   you have got to be kidding me: “without interference, hassle, and judgement?” the homosexual agenda uses the media to force its views on society.

Only to the extent that they want to be interference-, hassle-, and judgement-free. And why shouldn’t their veiws be “forced on society?”

   it permeates throughout my home because of the media--i call that interference and hassle and i don’t want my children to think that homosexuality is o.k.

See, now we’re back to abuse. You don’t even understand how deeply depraved that is. Your kids should think homosexuality is OK, because it is. And so should you. And until you (and they) do, this assault on the media needs to continue.

   i also believe that homosexuality is not perfectly natural, but a perversion of a natural and beautiful thing that GOD created to exist between a man and a woman through marriage.

Right, I know others with that misunderstanding. But your ignorance can not be allowed to exist unchecked. There is a huge body of evidence to suggest that you’re simply wrong and not one shred or scrap to support your side. That means that the only reasonable conclusion is that you are being willfully ignorant and harmful. That’s why I think it is not only acceptable but the only correct choice to re-educate you and yours.

   and being labeled a “biggot” because i don’t agree with you or this whole “lavender brick” issue is being judgemental as well.

But I’m not trying to judge a final verdict. I’m trying to help you overcome a weakness. I’m not judging you evil or an abomination before God. I’m judging you “not quite there, yet -- and needing help.”

Chris