 Off-Topic / Debate / 25853
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:06:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

Just remember that the world presents a hetero lifestyle as the standard to
LGBTs.  Ever watch a romantic comedy?  How many of them involve a same-sex
relationship?  When has James Bond seduced a man?

It's not even necassary to be frigid or overly conservative for not wanting
to know this. Heterosexual men don't want to be told by every woman her
sexual secrets, nor do heterosexual women (I assume) want to be told this by
every man.

They'd at least want to know that the individual in question is hetero as well.
Just consider a world in which noone indicates their sexual preference in any
manner whatsoever.  Now go to the local bar (remembering that there would be no
gay bars, so anyone and everyone will be going to yours) and see if you can pick
someone who won't refuse to date you solely on your gender.  Now imagine you're
trying to do this as part of the LGBT minority.  And without offending any
heteros.  Or imagine you're gay and people keep being offended when you tell
them you're not interested in dating their respective sisters.  Or imagine
you're gay and one of your friends starts talking about "them evil gay people",
and how great it is that "we're both straight".  It'd be a lot less obtrusive if
there was some sort of permanent physical indicator that you're born with (like
there is with ethnicity), but there's not.  Or imagine that you're straight and
every single woman you flirt with turns away in disgust...and you don't know if
it's because you've got spinach stuck in your teeth or if you keep chasing after
lesbians.  The only way to avoid problems like these is for people to state
outright what their preferences are, and the world assumes "hetero" if you don't
say otherwise.

I understand this. Still the demand of gays to free themselves and tell the
world who they really are interferes with the demand of heterosexuals not to
know everybody's sexuality.

Heteros don't demand not to know anyone's sexual preference.  Many of them
demand to live in blissful ignorance so they can keep pretending that every last
single living creature on this planet is hetero.  They think it's only fair that
every last LGBT be terribly inconvenienced just so they won't be forced to
acknowledge their differences.

I couldn't agree more with what David said.  As a gay person, I ask no more and
no less than to speak equally with someone.  If a straight person I talk to
mentions "I went to the Lego store with my wife, blah blah blah" then I do in
fact desire the same opportunity to say something equal about my partner.  No
more, no less.  This isn't "flaunting" - its talking about my life.

I also need to note that a good amount of the conversation on this forum is
amazingly offensive to me personally.  There is a lot of "gays want you think
this or they want you to accept them because..." kind of conversation.  I would
ask that everyone speak for themselves and not for me.  I wouldn't dare speak
for how a straight person thinks and I think its incredibly rude and ignorant to
speak for anyone else BUT yourself.  The conversation will be a lot more civil
that way (and it can be - just because people disagree doesn't mean we can't
discuss or share).

And while I can honestly understand the opinion being tossed out that there
shouldn't be any splinter groups, whether for LGBT or catholic or what not - I
think that much of the tone of this forum has created an environment, at least
for me, where I would not feel comfortable sharing any LGBT related MOCS in a
general forum.  If Lugnet is about creating an online environment where ALL
people can share and learn from each other about Lego, then quite frankly, I
think that this thread has dictated a clear NEED for a LGBT sub group and not
otherwise.

And please, I would personally request out of respect for gay people (and hell,
all people) that the comparisons to sexual orientation (something I believe and
most of science agrees with me is innate and genetic by nature and thus not able
to change) with one's preference for drinking coke, eating oysters, etc. be
stopped.  Its really quite offensive (although I do understand the basis behind
the argument you are trying to make).  Just as you wouldn't compare other
identities which aren't necessarily "visible" (disabilities, religion,
socio-economic status, etc.) to fruit (pun intended), please don't do the same
to LGBT individuals.  Its demeaning to me.

This has been a rather unpleasant way to welcome myself to the Lugnet community,
but nevertheless, hello.  LOL.