 Off-Topic / Debate / 25854
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:15:57 GMT

"Jeff Pelletier" <jeff@studio7733.com> wrote in message
news:I496JG.Io6@lugnet.com...

snipped some old stuff.

I couldn't agree more with what David said.  As a gay person, I ask no • more and
no less than to speak equally with someone.  If a straight person I talk • to
mentions "I went to the Lego store with my wife, blah blah blah" then I do • in
fact desire the same opportunity to say something equal about my partner. • No
more, no less.  This isn't "flaunting" - its talking about my life.

I also need to note that a good amount of the conversation on this forum • is
amazingly offensive to me personally.  There is a lot of "gays want you • think
this or they want you to accept them because..." kind of conversation.  I • would
ask that everyone speak for themselves and not for me.  I wouldn't dare • speak
for how a straight person thinks and I think its incredibly rude and • ignorant to
speak for anyone else BUT yourself.  The conversation will be a lot more • civil
that way (and it can be - just because people disagree doesn't mean we • can't
discuss or share).

And while I can honestly understand the opinion being tossed out that • there
shouldn't be any splinter groups, whether for LGBT or catholic or what • not - I
think that much of the tone of this forum has created an environment, at • least
for me, where I would not feel comfortable sharing any LGBT related MOCS • in a
general forum.  If Lugnet is about creating an online environment where • ALL
people can share and learn from each other about Lego, then quite frankly, • I
think that this thread has dictated a clear NEED for a LGBT sub group and • not
otherwise.

And please, I would personally request out of respect for gay people (and • hell,
all people) that the comparisons to sexual orientation (something I • believe and
most of science agrees with me is innate and genetic by nature and thus • not able
to change) with one's preference for drinking coke, eating oysters, etc. • be
stopped.  Its really quite offensive (although I do understand the basis • behind
the argument you are trying to make).  Just as you wouldn't compare other
identities which aren't necessarily "visible" (disabilities, religion,
socio-economic status, etc.) to fruit (pun intended), please don't do the • same
to LGBT individuals.  Its demeaning to me.

This has been a rather unpleasant way to welcome myself to the Lugnet • community,
but nevertheless, hello.  LOL.

Hi, this is a good post, but there is something I do not understand with it:
You wrote: "where I would not feel comfortable sharing any LGBT related MOCS
in a general forum"

I have to ask: Why the heck not? What is a LGBT related MOC? How would it
look like? I simply cannot understand how a MOC can represent a persons
sexual preference without depicting actual sexual stuff? Sexual stuff does
not (What I know off) belong on Lugnet.

Not everyone is building stuff to decorate wedding cakes with. (And this is
the only MOC I can think of)

Or is a need to discuss private matters regarding personal life with others
that are in the same situation?
My personal view is that I keep that kind of personal stuff by myself, or in
other related forums. But that is my personal view, and probably not shared
by others.

Excuse me if I have missed something, but I had to ask.
Be well! And play on!
/Joakim