 Off-Topic / Debate / 25842
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:13:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   Explain why the actual act has been forced to take place privately. Are you for allowing public displays of sexual acts?

That’s not what’s being debated here. The public display of sexual orientation is.

Well, before you snipped it, the particular point being discussed was PDA.

   There is a hugely vast difference between having an orgy in the nearest intersection and publicly acknowledging that your SO shops in the same section of the nearest department store.

The point I was trying to make is that sexuality is private thing and that overt attempts to disclose personal matters is appropriate IMO.

   How do you know how I treat homosexuals? If I don’t know that they are gay, how can I treat them differently?

I think that’s the main sticking point here. The whole point of coming out of the closet, as I see it, is so you aren’t only being socially accepted based on false pretenses.

ARRRG (not directed at you). This is one of the things that disturbs me about many gays-- that their entire identity is wrapped up in their sexuality. It is a disturbing trait for heterosexuals, too, BTW.

   For instance, I find gay activist parades to be a diliberate snubbing and tweaking of heterosexuals.

Do you also find the civil rights marches of the 60’s to be a deliberate snubbing and tweaking of whites?

Ah, an equivocation of the gay rights movement and black civil rights movement? The two are nothing like one another.

   I wonder if there would still be such displays if everyone were gay?

Of course not. If everyone were gay we’d have succumbed to Darwinism quite a few generations ago.

Many gays are bi, no?

   But we, as a species, aren’t limited by natural selection. Look at the vast number of charities that are set up to help those who, for whatever reason, can’t survive without assistance of some sort.

This whole topic is wearing me down. LUGNET is about bringing people together who love LEGO. LEGO should be the binding factor (pun intended:-) I’d miss .off-topic, but frankly it really has no place on LUGNET either IMO.

But it sounds like Todd has made up his mind (to me, anyway). I predict that the group will perhaps get some initial posts, but will go unused for the most part. And what will that prove? I don’t know.

JOHN