 Off-Topic / Debate / 25834
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:25:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello!

Before I started posting to this thread I made the following decisions:
1. I would not say anything revealing my own sexual preferences, whatever they
might be.
2. I would not say anything like "personally I'm not [this] but hey! if people
are [this] I'm totally fine with it!"
3. I would not say anything like "it's totally up to Todd to decide."
It's not completely easy to abide by these guidelines ;)

The issue that
underlies this is that these people want you to know they are gay - they don't
want you to assume the are not because they are offended at being assumed to be
gay (and thus, not who they are).

This is, in my opinion, one of the reasons why not-gay people may have mixed
feelings towards gays. It's kind of offending when somebody is obtruding you the
knowledge about his/her sexual orientation or preferences. It's not even
necassary to be frigid or overly conservative for not wanting to know this.
Heterosexual men don't want to be told by every woman her sexual secrets, nor do
heterosexual women (I assume) want to be told this by every man. But many (some,
few) gays tell you without asking. This is possibly even more repulsive than the
thought of the gay sexual intercourse itself (as stated in some posts in this
thread), as to imagine or not to imagine these acts stands in everybody's own
power while being told something is some alleviated kind of being forced to
imagine it.

Hand in hand with this is the fact they want
your acceptance/approval once they tell you they are gay.  External acceptance
is a big thing for most homosexuals.  Many can't be happy unless you know they
are gay and you tell them that's just great.

I understand this. Still the demand of gays to free themselves and tell the
world who they really are interferes with the demand of heterosexuals not to
know everybody's sexuality. If my assumption is right (I don't claim this, it's
just my thoughts) there is no way that gays and heteros can live on totally
unbiassed terms with each other, unless the society changes to one that doesn't
give a sh!t on somebody's sexual orientation.

This said I still don't see the need for a newsgroup on Lugnet that's based on
sexual orientation.

Bye
Jojo