 Off-Topic / Debate / 25833
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:22:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:

   Bruce, if this is the main reason they want the group, it has nothing to do with Lego - Lego is incidental at best.

See Todd Lehman’s response as to what Lugnet is. I had reserved my own opinion on the whole subject with the note that Lehman is the arbitrator of what Lugnet is, and knows his own philosophy on it better than I do.

   The primary reason is for them to be open and be approved of, despite you saying this is not the case.

And this is merely your opinion, despite declaring that it is undisputable fact. And you have expressed your disapproval, so clearly they have been foiled if that is the case.

   If they are seeking to avoid disapproval, as you stated, they can be like everyone else and not bring up their orientation in their posts - I have never seen posts where this just naturally comes in as part of the conversation going on (until this current topic of discussion).

People have mentioned being gay many times before on Lugnet. My only point was nothing was stopping them from continuing to do so under the current structure. It is not a banned subject. You seem to be under the impression if they don’t have their own forum that they can’t do and say the exact same things without it. I felt that since they could in fact do those things, why have a new forum, but under Todd’s stated structure, I understand why he would rule otherwise. Nothing has really changed beyond that there can be a forum that you can more easily avoid things that you (presumably) disapprove of.

   I don’t feel compelled to tell people my sexual orientation. I don’t need to have others affirm this or anything else about my person.

And that is fine for you. I have never mentioned something about my life that would be quite out of the ordinary and would leap out at you if you saw me and my family, but I haven’t felt the need to bring it up except once obliquely when Shiri Dori mentioned a problem in her life that my situation applies to. I’m sure people would draw all sorts of judgments, but I’m not afraid to discuss it here, I just haven’t seen the occasion to.

This is the thing that gets me about this. Right now everyone is treated equally on this site - black, white, Hindu, Protestant, Republican, heavy-metal lover. Now you’re telling me that’s not enough because gays aren’t comfortable here unless they can be known to everyone as homosexuals, and have people here who are ‘comfortable’ (read accepting) with them.

You have detuned “approving” to “accepting”. Which is it? And you are beginning to show the very kind of disapproval that I was talking about. How dare they mention that they are gay! Several already have: the world has not stopped spinning, and after a while everyone will shrug and go back to discussing whatever it is that they want to on Lugnet and ignore what they don’t care about.

   And you know this is what you mean, Bruce, because if it’s not about being accepted as gays, then why do other people have to know they’re gay? Being gay has nothing to do with their MOCs.

Again, see Todd’s message: Lugnet is not simply about MOC, but about the interests of the Lego community.

Your ‘with people who are comfortable with who they are’ phrase implies these people are approving of homosexuals and their orientation.

I have already said that I neither approve nor disapprove of them, I just understand that they are gay and don’t really care one way or the other. Please don’t put words into my mouth when I have already stated otherwise.

   It’s just a euphemism. People who are uncomfortable about ‘what they are’ are not going to affirm them or make them feel comfortable.

I think you need to understand that you have just summed up why they want their own forum.

-->Bruce<--