 Off-Topic / Debate / 25702
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:11:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Edward Welsh wrote:
I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and I wanted to put it out to the
community:  I'd like to start an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgendered (LGBT) AFOLs.  A lavender brick society, if you like.  It's seemed
to me that "family" participation at fests and suchlike has been very sparse,
and I'm wondering if it isn't the classic invisibility thing.

Teddy, I thought Belville was the Gay newsgroup?  Wait a minute...Gays have the
power of invisibility?!  Cooool.  As a man with a record of staunch
heterosexuality...well...except for that junior-high towell snapping incident
that got out of control...I support you and your lavenderians in your quest for
a little slice of lugnet.  Keep reaching for that rainbow.  However, I only
support such a move if I'm welcome to post there and lay down some
smack...because to me, smack supercedes sexuality, and a sense of humor is key
to your success.

Wouldn't it be
cool if we all wore a little pink brick (or better yet, a lavender brick) on our
fest nametag, as a subtle little "Yoo hoo, Miss Tallulah!" to those in the know?
Call me an old-fashioned activist bitch, but it sure would make me feel a little
more welcome in the community.

Teddy, you old fashioned activist bitch...sorry, I couldn't resist.  Would there
be a seperate color for bi-curious, or closeted?  What about men who like to
wear women's clothing?

Not that I feel particularly unwelcome--but I
have felt a certain disconnect from time to time.  A bit of visibility and
awareness would go a long way in my book.

In the larger scheme, I want to open a conversation about what it means to be
queer in this community, but I'm not sure I want to have that conversation in a
general forum.  I'd rather participants opt into the conversation.

To the administrators: Could we set up an LGBT AFOL newsgroup, perhaps in
.people?  I'd be happy to administer it.  I don't imagine it would be
particularly high-traffic, but it would provide a safe space in which to discuss

Safe?  You don't feel safe?  I feel opressed at times by big fat brother, but
never unsafe.  I was with you until that one, so you might want to clarify that
for me.  Maybe you guys (and gals) should just take over .underground and make
it your own, since nobody ever posts there.  That was a joke.

We could post "sodomy alerts"

Now that is a great idea!...like the "Troubalert" in the Hall of Justice.  Maybe
that will be my next moc.

A few thoughts, anyway, that I'd love to pursue further.  Interest?
Administrative support?

Good luck with that one...you have to remember that this isn't really an 'adult'
site, and your freedom to speak is by no means complete.  I predict that if they
do throw you a bone, you should excpect a higher degree of scrutiny than most
newsgroups get.  I don't think you'd really be free to express yourself because
of the Ha...well, I'm not allowed to say that word anymore...because of the
thought police.

Good luck, I'm with you all the way.

-Keith