 Off-Topic / Debate / 2531
Re: About Blasters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:35:51 GMT

[cross posted to off-topic debate, drifting away from Star Wars again]

J-Men HQ wrote:

This made me think about the Batman Animated Series. I don't know how many
of you are familiar with that series, but Warner Bros. had a real problem
with the Censures over the portrayal of guns and weapons. It was finally
decided that they could only shows guns which were no longer in use. In
other words... no modern guns. This is why if you watch the early episodes,
the villains only used tommy guns and old revolvers. No M-16s or anything
like you see today.

This could very well be the reasoning behind Lego's decision. I don't think
kids relate to rifles and old revolvers the same as they do to modern guns.
They look at them as antiques, something you see on old cowboy shows. They
don't really think of them as weapons.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

You know, this is a very ignorant attitude on censors and the like in regards to
these situations. It seems that we are trying to disguise the real world from
kids, so they might not be "corrupted" or whatever. I think if more kids would
go out to a gun range and see what guns really do (No, movies to not portray
guns accurately, or people who have them, I might add), and have parents take
the time to show what guns are, kids would never have a hard time distinguishing
reality from fiction.

I will never forget, in my schools 6th grade camp, we went out to a Boy Scout /
Girl Scout camp in Eastern Michigan, and it was pretty fun. The Michigan State
Police came and had a weapons demonstration. They had several pistols, shotguns,
and even an M-16 automatic machine gun. They brought several watermelons, and
showed what these weapons can do to watermelons, much less real people. They
also showed how a bulletproof vest worked, I was very impressed. The M-16 was
insanely loud, but it showed me what these weapons can do. What a great, real
life, lesson I learned that day.

Hiding the real world from kids is raising them to be blind, ignorant fools.
Saying guns are evil because they are guns is ignorant. Saying sex, drugs, and
smoking, etc. isn't out there is also denying children of knowledge. Whether
they learn it from parents (Where it should be) or school, these kids need to be
educated to what these real articles are, so that when or if a toy or movie or
cartoon or whatever comes along, they know it is not real.

Guns in the hands of evil people are bad. Guns in the hands of law abiding
individuals is a guaranteed right under the Constitution. Not making blasters
available in SW sets, and other LEGO themes is ludicrous, and not serving any
purpose outside of appeasing the PC crowd.

Scott "Yes, I have been exposed to guns in toys, video games, movies, etc. and I
have not killed anyone yet" S.

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!