 Off-Topic / Debate / 25189
25188  |  25190
Subject:
Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 00:38:06 GMT

I've noticed that o-t.d seems to be populated largely by people who will never
change their minds about the issues being discussed.  There are a lot of us on
the left who seem to be pounding the same arguments into the ground against a
small conservative fringe on the right, who rarely seem to back up their
arguments with fact.  Most everyone else seems to stay out of the fray, probably
never even reading our diatribes.

It recently occurred to me (when someone told me to "get a life" instead of
whining about bley) that it would be more productive for us to spread out, find
some conservative blogs, and start injecting common sense into the one-sided
discussions that happen there.  I recently found one such blog that seems to be
run by a relatively open-minded person whose politics I happen to disagree with.
I have spent a lot of time over the past two weeks rocking the boat there, not
letting the crowd that hangs out there get away with the typical hypocrisy that
seems to dominate "debate" on the right.  It has been quite a satisfying
experience, and I feel that I am accomplishing something by providing a
counterpoint to the pro-insanity agenda being preached.

I still read LUGNET, and I don't mean to suggest that anyone should stop posting
here, but this is an important time for us to get the good word out beyond our
small sphere.

Just a thought...

- Chris.