 Off-Topic / Debate / 25191
Re: Casting seeds on stony ground (was re: Preaching to the Choir)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:03:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
I've noticed that o-t.d seems to be populated largely by people who will never
change their minds about the issues being discussed.  There are a lot of us on
the left who seem to be pounding the same arguments into the ground against a
small conservative fringe on the right, who rarely seem to back up their
arguments with fact.  Most everyone else seems to stay out of the fray, probably
never even reading our diatribes.

It recently occurred to me (when someone told me to "get a life" instead of
whining about bley) that it would be more productive for us to spread out, find
some conservative blogs, and start injecting common sense into the one-sided
discussions that happen there.  I recently found one such blog that seems to be
run by a relatively open-minded person whose politics I happen to disagree with.
I have spent a lot of time over the past two weeks rocking the boat there, not
letting the crowd that hangs out there get away with the typical hypocrisy that
seems to dominate "debate" on the right.  It has been quite a satisfying
experience, and I feel that I am accomplishing something by providing a
counterpoint to the pro-insanity agenda being preached.

I still read LUGNET, and I don't mean to suggest that anyone should stop posting
here, but this is an important time for us to get the good word out beyond our
small sphere.

I agree completely, and have been taking a similar course, for similar reasons.

There's a parable isn't there, about scattering seeds all over, and the seeds
sprouting and giving forth a harvest whose size depended on the kind of ground
onto which the seed had fallen.  Now much as I admire the sower's magnanimity
throwing his seeds all over the place, I'm at the stage of avoiding the stony
places and skipping the thorn bushes and just focussing on the good ground.

Good luck.

Richard
Still baldly going...