 Off-Topic / Debate / 25182
Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:54:15 GMT

Hmmmm ... it is probably NOT a good idea to get into this at this place.

I am not a huge moore fan, and I can certainly understand how he can come accross as extremly annoying. But your post has left me wondering and, with all the due respect that a fellow brick aficionado deserves, I’d like to make a couple of comments about what you just wrote.

Moore’s current movie is the largest grossing documentary ever - this is a quantitative fact. Of course, I don’t think it is a documentary, but I’ll get into that later. The point I’d like to make first is that either the guy has a mighty lot (and I do mean an enormous amount) of die-hard followers or maybe there are other reasons for his by most accounts quite successful career. Maybe it’s just that most folks are not die-hard anything, but rather shift their interests according to changing sets of circumstances. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I’m old enough to know that pure evil and pure grace don’t have clearly defined borders in any way you care to consider.

In any event, what Moore does is commentary, not documentary. I agree it is very important to make that distinction, and to challenge his assertions - that’s what free speech is all about. However, some quarters apparently hold him to standards which are completely foregone when it comes to other, more friendly figures. I could point at Rush, but I could also point at the Bush administration. And I’ll leave it there.

Finally, the question of where will it go? Maybe everything will play into the GOP’s hands. But for now, that is not really the case. Sure, the US government does not have it easy at the moment. Nobody discusses that. But Moore’s movie is breaking records at the box office and at the same time has become a common conversation topic (even if it is to criticise it). Likewise, Kerry is not an ideal candidate by any stretch. But the fact is that the numbers for the president are not showing up. And another fact is that he can certainly be held accountable for part of the reasons behind that (whatever those reasons might be). Just like Moore should be held accountable for his stuff.

Play well.